Vocational guidance in the employment system
Unemployed people can be provided vocational guidance by the job centres through various guidance services. The Ministry of Education holds the responsibility for supervision and development.
Through job centres, municipalities provide vocational guidance to jobseekers, including all young unemployed people. The youth guidance centres under the auspices of the Ministry of Education are responsible for cooperation with the school system.
Denmark has 51 municipal youth guidance centres which provide guidance services for young people up to the age of 25.
The youth guidance centres focus on guidance related to the transition from compulsory school education to youth education or, alternatively, to the labour market. There are 7 regional guidance centres which focus on the transition from youth education to higher education and in addition, as of 2010, 13 regional adult education and training centres (VEU centres) that have a responsibility for guidance specifically in relation to adult education and training.
Vocational guidance within the education system
The Ministry of Education is responsible for continuous supervision and development of guidance services in the educational sector. The various guidance services consist of:
- Youth Guidance Centres – municipal level institutions responsible for guidance related to the transition from compulsory school education to youth education;
- Regional Guidance Centres – responsible for guidance related to the transition from youth education to higher education;
- VEU-Centres – the purpose of the regional adult education and training centres is to improve the overall infrastructure for guidance and provision of adult vocational education and training (see also above);
- eGuidance Centre – a virtual guidance centre which comprises a national guidance unit set up in January 2011 (i.e. outside the reference period). It offers guidance through virtual communication to all members of the public who require information about education and employment;
- The National Guidance Portal which is accessible from the link below